Sunday, September 28, 2008

Eric Wrote Poetry

Shortly after Eric’s passing, a few samples of Eric’s poetry were discovered. Here is one of them:

I wish I’d taken a pen or two,

And wrote the things my father knew,

From my childhood and all through life

It could save mankind a lot of strife.

He learned why we came to the world we know;

To raise a family and always grow.

He taught his children proper and good

The way Heavenly Father said he should.

He taught us to look at the blessings he had—

No matter the circumstances, good or bad,

From looking at clouds on a breezy day

To the way that our legs help us run and play.

I always remember the way he would smile

When he’d walk with his grandchildren for over a mile.

He had a bigger heart than he’d like to admit,

But stunk up the bathroom when he started to shave.

[At the funeral, Dwayne said (about that last line) that Eric must have run out of rhymes.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The day after these poems were discovered, Roma brought them to Mom's house, where Mom, Paula, Roma and I were meeting to talk about the life sketch for the funeral. Roma read the poem aloud to us. We were all so surprised to know that Eric had written poetry, and very touched by what he had written. When she got to the last line, she stopped for a minute and said something like "I have a hard time reading this last line." I assumed it was because she was feeling quite emotional, but then she read the line! The tears that had been building up in my eyes just came gushing out in tears of laughter! It was such a classic Eric moment! (Sandra)